Friday, August 6, 2010

DS9...A Voyage Begun...


Last year a Trekkie friend of mine got me into Star Trek. I started with the beginning of the beginning, The Original Series. I watched an entire season in one day at one point. I thoroughly enjoyed TOS. Of course, my journey into Trekkidom was official as I then began The Next Generation. My friend and I often fell asleep to TNG only to finish the next night. It was great actually getting into the series with a true Trekkie. Eventually though, I was alone in my voyage to complete the final season of TNG. Much time passed as life flew by. But many months later I finally finished Season 7, only to wait a bit longer before getting my grubby hands on DS9. My Trekkie friend was so kind to let me swap out DVD sets for Season 1 DS9.

Last night I began the first episode. As true to tradition, I fell asleep before the end of the episode (give me a break, it was a long one). Don't get me wrong, it doesn't bore me to sleep. I enjoy watching Star Trek at the end of the day curled up in bed, as it is soothing and entertaining. I watched a bit more this morning as I got ready for the day and am now about to hopefully complete the episode. Thank goodness for the convenience and pause-ability of DVDs. I do not have a television, but who would want to watch all those commercials?

Here, I hope to check in from time to time to log my progress with DS9. With only 17 minutes left in the episode, I have to say I'm impressed. The fun conversation to explain linear time and the introduction of Quark (Quark's bar t-shirt a staple in my friend's wardrobe) are stellar ways to get things rolling.

Now I'm off to grab a slice of pie (I made yesterday) and finish "Emissary".

No comments:

Post a Comment